Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blogoholism

REALLY don't feel like writing anything right now ... but am hoping that if I slog through it for a few minutes the muses will bestow some wisdom on me ... that I can then post on my BLOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGG!

I have enjoyed writing pieces for my blog and it has been fun getting joking feedback from my family and friends (the few that actually bother to read it). But I recently installed Google Analytics. This is basically a snippet of HTML code that you insert into your page that reports to Google Analytics every time someone surfs upon your page. Pretty neat actually. It tracks the time they spent on your page, where they came from and even where they are roughly located in the world. I now know that people in such far off strange lands as Minnesota, Pennsylvania and California have looked upon my page. I believe all of this non-family traffic is due to my brother. He is a Physics professor at Southeastern Louisiana State University and an 18th level blogger. He has sort of made a name for himself by commenting on the physics of various things he sees in movies, TV or the internet. He has been at this for some time and has developed a sizable base of regular readers. He was even mentioned on the popular podcast Buzz Out Loud (he was pretty pumped up about that). This success has come at a price, however, as my brother is now hopelessly addicted to blogging. For Christmas, my sister got him a t-shirt with "Enough about me ... let's talk about my blog" on it. My sister has a talent for highly appropriate gifts. I got a "jenius" t-shirt last Christmas.

Anyway, my brother, is kind of like a drug dealer of blogs now and he would like me to become addicted as well. So, he "helped" me by posting links to my blog page on various science geek sites along with a link from his own blog. This has placed pressure on me to actually write stuff that is useful and worthwhile. I obviously have not yet succumbed to this pressure.

If you'd like to check out my brother's blog you can find it here: dotphys.net.

1 comment:

  1. Too much talk about Rhett, not enough talk about you're obviously super cool sister. But I am a talented gift giver...most of the time. I will achieve 3 out of 3 next year on the brother gifts. And I'm glad to see you're acknowledging that I pretty much inspired your blog by giving you that jenius shirt.

    ReplyDelete